How to Make Cold Brewed Coffee

By JULIE - 3:52:00 PM


I just learned how to cold brew coffee and now I'm wondering why it's taken me so long to try it.  It's so easy to make and tastes so much better!  I got the idea to try to cold brew my coffee while reading Trader Joe's fearless flyer for cold brew coffee bags.  The article talked about how when coffee is brewed at a lower temperature, it's less bitter and acidic, because some of  the heat activated acids and oils don't pass through the brew.  Instead of buying cold brew bags of coffee at Trader Joe's, I figured I would rather make my own in my French press, since it would be cheaper and I can use any coffee I want.

HOW I TYPICALLY MAKE MY COFFEE (The Hot Brew Way)
I typically brew 1/3 cup pre ground coffee in my french press with about 3 1/2 cups of boiling water (which I will never do again instead I've since learned it should just be a little below boiling or off boil) and brew it for 5 min.  I then put it in the fridge for the next day and enjoy it in a double walled coffee mug (it keeps it colder and doesn't sweat so you don't need a coaster), with frozen coffee cubes (I pour cold coffee with creamer and sweetener into an ice try and place in freezer). I like to add organic 1/2 and 1/2, stevia ( I get mine at Trader Joe's), and just a little Hershey's simply 5 chocolate syrup (it has no high fructose corn syrup).
Enjoying my cold brew coffee while knitting mittens on repeat for my shop 

I tried cold brewing my coffee with the same coffee I usually use, and it was so much better!  I found I could use less sweetener since it was less bitter.  I'm never going back  💕☕💗  I hope you like it too!

______________________________________

COLD BREW COFFEE FRENCH PRESS METHOD

Serves 1

What You Need

  • 2/3 cup course ground coffee (I used pre ground coffee) 
  • 3 cups room temp or 90 - 100 degree F filtered water
  • Something to stir the coffee with, I use the end of a wooden spoon
  • French press (can use a container that can hold 4 cups and a filter instead)

INSTRUCTIONS

  1. Combine water and coffee in the French Press, place 2/3 cup of ground coffee into the french press, pour room temp or 90 - 100 degrees F water over the coffee grounds.
  2. Stir the water making sure all grounds are submerged, and evenly distributed.
  3. Cover with French press lid with the plunger in the up position.  Let brew at room temp for 12 - 24 hrs (Starbucks brew their cold brew for 20 hrs)
  4. Plunge the French Press down, just before you plan to drink it.
  5. Pour and enjoy! You can keep it in the fridge for up to 3 -5 days.  Unlike hot brewed coffee that will go stale fast.

Don’t forget to “like” us on Facebook.  Let’s be friends on Pinterest and we can follow each other on Twitter Instagram and check out my other blog OhYou Crafty Gal.   

©Minneapolis Homestead www.theurbanhomestaed.blogspot.com All rights reserved. Photos and content cannot be reproduced


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts