|Self portrait in an infinity scarf I made for my Etsy Store Ornute|
- I love coffee, tea, and chocolate
- I am a total foodie
- I love vintage and kitschy stuff
- I spoil my cat way too much
- I like to crochet and knit, garden and create recipes
- I teach sewing
- I design fashion accessories
- All time favorite TV shows: Lost, Sex and the City, 24, and Breaking Bad
- My favorite curse words are: Oh Fiddlesticks, Holy Hamburgers, Son of a Biscuit, Son of a Nutcracker, Dagnammit, and Gadzooks.
|Our Partner in Crime|
I started this blog as a way of tracking all that I have learned about gardening, nutrition and disease prevention, and all the projects and recipes I have created. I have learned that an essential part of learning is recording what you have done and reflection. I hope that this blog will also serve to offer encouragement to those striving to live a simpler, healthier life. Come follow along in our adventures.
Our Goal is to:
- Grow as much of our own food as possible. We have a very small yard, 1/8 acre city lot (with 1/2 of our lot in almost complete shade). So we are learning how to grow a lot in a little space using square foot gardening methods. For the last 6 years, our garden has been about 64 ft, we increased it in 2011 to over 150 ft by tearing out our lawn, we also added a raised concrete garden bed in 2012.
- Cook really good organic food (no more processed foods). That's right no more middle aisles in the grocery store, just fresh produce, meat, dairy, and grains. The benefits of making your own "processed" foods is no hidden sugar and salt, and you can add cool extra nutritional ingredients. Impossible right? Who has the time? Well I'm learning ways I share on this blog to make that possible. Mostly through making large quantities once, and then canning and freezing it.
- Use food as medicine. How can we have a diet so nutritious it heals us?
- Prevent disease Why wait until you have a chronic disease? I want to do whatever I can to try and prevent myself and my family from getting a chronic disease. I am constantly learning about natural ways to prevent chronic diseases such as cancer, heart disease, Alzheimer's, etc that I love to share. I am also interested in finding ways to look , feel, and move healthier through natural means. Modern medicine has extended our lives, but how do we extend the quality of those golden years?
- Have less toxins in our environment Ok, so I know this is a scary Pandora's box for most people. But I think if you just go with natural whenever possible, you be less likely to have toxins stored in your body. (Your liver takes care of the toxins in your body, but if it's overloaded it will store the toxins in your fat, which releases slowly into your body). We're working on getting chemicals out of our house and to make my own cleaning, bath and beauty products, etc.
- Buy less stuff and make more stuff. Less stuff ending up in landfills, more money to invest in assets, and an excuse to work on my hobbies, it's a win win. I'm a super creative so you never know what I'll end up making! Check out my other blog to see all my crafty ideals and inspiration. Or my fashion accessories store Ornute to check out my handmade goodies.
Are You A New Visitor?
You can keep up to date with A Minneapolis Homestead via
You can contact me at: UrbanHomestead31 at gmail.com
I am not a doctor, dietitian nor nutritionist. I have ZERO medical training and NO formal nutritional training. The information provided on this site, such as text, graphics, images, is for informational purposes only. It is not to be construed as medical care or medical advice and is not a replacement for medical care given by physicians or trained medical personnel. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare provider(s) when experiencing symptoms or health problems, or before starting any new treatment.
Why was my comment removed/not published?
I appreciate constructively critical feedback, but my goal is to keep the discussion positive and if the tone of your comment is rude, angry, or in poor taste, it won't be published. Also any post including links that are to sell products or promote commercial sites will be deleted. In order to ensure all comments are genuine comments and not spam. I check all comments before publishing them. So if you comment is in fact genuine but not yet published, it just means I haven't got to checking it yet.
What's your policy on working with brands?
I'm extremely selective about the brands I work with and only partner with companies that are a natural fit for . The same goes for accepting products I only showcase things on my site that I truly love and would normally buy on my own. In the case that something has been given to me, I always include that it's courtesy of that brand. Unless clearly marked as a "Sponsored" post, I am not compensated by any of the brands featured on the site.
I enjoy sharing information and love when others enjoy my posts enough to post the links on their own sites. However, I ask that you do not use my designs, posts, or photos without permission or without noting its origins on your post. All photos on Minneapolis Homestead must also be credited and linked to the original post.