I've Lived a Stay at Home Lifestyle for 8 yrs: Here Are my Tips

By JULIE - 4:50:00 PM

My typical work at home day: our cat sleeping on my lap
I recently was talking to a friend about our recent change of lifestyle with the current pandemic.  Like many of you she is working at home until.... Who knows when. She asked if I had any advice on the transition, since this is my lifestyle.  I figured I might as well share what I told her with all of you too.


My life has surprisingly changed very little with the new Stay at home order in MN.  What is different for me is having my husband working from home, not being able to go to some stores, not going out to eat with my husband, canceling my sewing class I teach, and having to cancel plans with friends and family events.  Other than that not much is different.  I don't work outside of our home (except for teaching sewing super part time), and my husband and my idea weekend usually involves walking around lakes together and playing card games while listing to music, and binging on our fav TV shows. All very shelter in place appropriate. 

Starting Fri March 26th at midnight MN will have a Stay at Home Order
One thing it has affected is my plans to finish out our new sun room/ she shed, which I am soooo excited about and will post about soon.  I want to build an electric fireplace and was going to go hunting for a used wood fireplace surround/ mantel to start.  But that will have to wait now until non essential businesses reopen here.

Going from working out of the home to WAH (working at home) the biggest change is the lack of structure to your week.  My biggest advice is to build structure into your new WAH arrangement.  Basically you want your work week to be different from your weekend however that works for you. This is what I do to build structure to my week.

Tips For Adjusting to Working at Home and a Stay at Home lifestyle

1. Wake Up and Go to bed at the Same time Mon - Fri
I get up early and go to bed the same time  Mon - Fri.  It can be tempting to stay up late and sleep in late when you don't have to wake up early, but it doesn't set you up to be productive in the long run.  Sat and Sun we don't set the alarm and sleep in as long as we want.

2. Add Exercise to Your Daily Routine Mon - Fri
 Lately I've been trying to fit working out into my morning routine.  I use my stepper while watching the mourning news. Now that my husband is WAH we have added a walk together to our daily routine which I love.

3. Have a Time You Will Get Dressed, Shower, and Eat Breakfast By
Even if I don't see a single person for days I still shower, and get dressed.  I don't get dressed up or wear makeup, instead I wear super comfy clothes that I could at least answer the door in without being embarrassed.  Something like leggings and a comfy sweater or cardigan instead of pajamas.

If you really do love staying in your pjs all day I would suggest picking one day a week like how some companies have Fridays.

4. Plan Something Fun For the Weekend
It helps to have your weekend different from the week and gives you something to look forward to. As mentioned earlier my husband and I have fun going for walks around lakes, playing games, and listening to music. We also like to grab take out and do picnics when the weather is nice.  We often do pizza and chipolte picnics at our local lake.

Basically in a nutshell you really need your week days to look different than your weekends, so the days don't become a big blur however that works for you.  Hope this helps. Stay home and stay Safe!

Don’t forget to “like” us on Facebook.  Let’s be friends on Pinterest and we can follow each other on Twitter and   Instagram check out my other blog OhYou Crafty Gal.  


©Minneapolis Homestead www.theurbanhomestaed.blogspot.com All rights reserved. Photos and content cannot be reproduced


Also Check out:

Tips for Productivity

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts