Cheesy Egg and Sausage Muffins Recipe: Easy Breakfast On The Go (low carb, gf)

By JULIE - 10:58:00 PM


I'm currently addicted to these muffins.  I seriously can't stop eating them.  I can eat them for Breakfast lunch and dinner right?  Think cheesy sausage omelet cooked to perfection crossed with a muffin.  Next time I make it I plan to use my large muffin pan so I don't feel like such a pig eating 4 or 5 muffins at a time!  These are great for brunch or an easy hearty breakfast to go.  They'd even be great for a picnic! 

There are a lot of recipes for omelets made in muffin tins, which are great because they're made without grains.  I was concerned though to make an omelet "muffin" because eggs are great when cooked perfect but can easily turn into a mess when not cooked right.  I find it hard to judge in the oven, so I wanted some grains in the muffin to improve the texture, but far less than a normal muffin would.  This helps to make it a bit more idiot proof because why not?

In order to make it healthier I used pasture raised local sausage, and eggs, garlic, chives, millet flour (gluten free, whole grain, high fiber), and oat bran (naturally gf but can be cross contaminated if allergic to gluten make sure it's certifed gf, very high in fiber).  To make it taste cheesy without adding a lot of cheese I used reduced fat shredded cheese,  and ff organic cottage cheese.

Cheesy Egg and Sausage Muffins 
(low carb, gf)

adapted from Kalyn's Kitchen
makes 10-13 regular muffins, or 6 large muffins

Ingredients:
1 cup (8 oz) fat free cottage cheese
2/3 cup oat bran (get certified GF if allergic)
1 tsp. aluminium free baking powder
1/4 tsp. pink salt , or sea salt
5 large pasture raised eggs (check your local health food stores or farmers market), beaten
1/4 cup (Ideally pasture raised) milk, or favourite milk alternative
1/2 lb cooked sausage (I use 4 sun dried chicken sausage from trader Joe's and slice and cut it up it small pieces)
1/4 cup (about 2-3 oz) sharp cheddar (I used low-fat sharp cheddar)
1 T garlic puree or pressed garlic (I used garlic puree)
a pinch of cayenne pepper (or to taste)
freshly ground black pepper to taste

Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
  2. cook sausage in a skillet until no longer pink breaking up into small pieces
  3. Spray silicone muffin cups, or muffin pan with non-stick spray or olive oil, or use muffin cups. 
  4. In mixing bowl, combine cottage cheese, millet flour, baking powder, salt, eggs,cayenne and black pepper, and milk. Mix until well combined, then gently stir in cooked sausage, and sharp cheddar.
  5. Divide batter between six muffin cups, if making large muffins (a 6 muffin pan). A reg muffin pan will make 10-13.
  6. Bake muffins 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned on top and set if making reg muffins. (If you're going to be reheating it, I would bake about 15 minutes, for eating immediately I would use closer to 20 minutes.)  If you are using a large muffin pan (should make about 6 then) it should take about 23-26 min.  Check with a toothpick to see if it's done or not.
  7. You can store these for a few days in a air tight container in the fridge and reheat in the oven (for best results), or in the microwave. 
Don’t forget to “likeus on Facebook.  Let’s be friends on Pinterest and we can follow each other on Twitter and Google Plus.  And check out my other blog OhYou Crafty Gal.  

©Minneapolis Homestead www.theurbanhomestaed.blogspot.com All rights reserved. Photos and content cannot be reproduced




  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts