Dutch Apple Tart (Paleo, Vegan, GF, low sugar)

By JULIE - 10:10:00 AM



As I said in my last post I decided to be a baking rebel for Thanksgiving this year and make 2 recipes I had developed for dessert on the fly (I had never made it before).  Both my Sweet Potato Cheesecake pie and my Dutch Apple Tart turned out great to my relief!  My apple tart was all gone.

I choose to make an apple tart as opposed to a traditional apple pie for two reasons.  One reason is we bought a lot of apples from our local farmers market on the last day that we had to use, another reason is with a tart I wouldn't have to make a traditional pie crust and instead could make a nut based press crust which is easier and healthier!  The only problem I had with my plan is I don't have a tart pan, hence the pie pan used.  So it will look different when you make it assuming you use a tart pan!  I decided to make this a Dutch apple tart after I started to lay my apples out and noticed they were far from picture perfect.  Ahhh this is why pies have a top crust!   I thought to myself.  So I figured why not cover it lightly in a dutch crumble topping which I love anyways?  Seemed to work just fine luckily!


Dutch Apple Tart (Paleo, GF, low sugar)

Crust Ingredients
  •  1 1/2 cup walnuts (can sub pecans)
  •  1 Tablespoon coconut flour
  •  1/8 tsp pink salt
  •  1/8 tsp cinnamon
  •  1 large pasture raised egg 
Filling Ingredients
  • 5-6 medium to large organic apples peeled cored and sliced 1/8" thick (please buy organic because it is one of the dirty dozen (most heavily pesticed crops))
  • 2 Tablespoons honey
  • 1 Tablespoon organic lemon juice
  • 1 Tablespoon arrowroot powder
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
Struesell Topping 
(adopted from Jane's Healthy Kitchen)

  • 1/3 cup almond flour or meal (or coconut flour)
  • 2 tablespoons stevia
  • 1/4 teaspoon pink salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/3 cup chopped nuts, optional (or substitute 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut)
  • (Nuts should be soaked if possible. See All About Nuts.)
  • 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
Directions
  1. Heat oven at 325 degrees.
  2. Make Crust Put tart crust ingredients in the food processor and process until mixture turns crumbly, then press into a 9 inch tart pan.  Bake in oven for 5 min, then take out.
  3. Make filling put filling ingredients into a medium bowl and mix together until apples are coated in mixture.  Then place apples in two layers on top of the crust.
  4. Make Crumb topping mix all crumb ingredients in a bowl and sprinkle evenly on top of the tart.
  5. Cover with aluminium foil and place in the oven for 45 min, then turn up the oven to 350 degrees uncovered for about 20 min or until the apples seem cooked and the topping slightly crisp.  
  6. serve warm or cold.  Optional topping ideals are caramel syrup,  ice cream, and whipped cream.

Don’t forget to “likeus on Facebook.  Let’s be friends on Pinterest and we can follow each other on Twitter and Google Plus.  And check out my other blog OhYou Crafty Gal.  

©Minneapolis Homestead www.theurbanhomestaed.blogspot.com All rights reserved. Photos and content cannot be reproduced

 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts