Strawberry and Cream Raw Oatmeal (dairy and sugar free)

By JULIE - 5:02:00 PM


I've been avoiding grains as much as possible (but not completely) for about a year now, because of the anti nutrients in some (gluten is one), and because they break down as sugar in your body. However I'm not against grains completely, I just believe in having good quality whole grains that are gluten free and soaked in moderation.   I got the ideal to try this after reading the book Beauty Detox by Kimberly Snyder (I plan to review this soon).  I tried her version with avocado and didn't like it, so I developed this recipe which was way better.  The only thing is I realized today that it does not follow the principals of food pairing for better digestion in her book, because she says you should have fruit by itself only on an empty stomach. Whoops!  But I figured I'd share this recipe since it still is healthy and delicious!  I think I will try it next time with just cinnamon and coconut or almond milk just to stay with her principals. 


What are oat groats?  
 Oat groats are literally oat seeds without the outer shell called the hull.  You can actually sprout them and term it into cat grass since cat grass is really oats sprouted (I have to my cat's delight so I know it works!) Talk about unprocessed!  Why raw?  By eating them raw you are preserving all the nutrition in your oatmeal and it's super quick to make because there is no cooking at all!

Where can I find oat groats?  
Chances are it's much easier to find at a store nearby you than you might think.  I got mine at my local co op in the bulk food section.  Most health foods should carry it.

If you've not a raw foodie, don't let this recipe intimidate you it actually taste like normal oatmeal it's just a little healthier and faster to make than normal oatmeal, since there is no cooking!

Strawberry and Cream Raw Oatmeal (dairy and sugar free)
1 serving

Ingredients
1/2 small banana (you can freeze the other half for smoothies
4-5 fresh or frozen organic strawberries (I used frozen strawberries we grew)
1/2 cup of oat groats soaked in water overnight or longer
1/2 tsp stevia
milk alternative (almond, hemp, coconut milk) to desired consistency 
1/8 tsp pink salt

Directions
  1. Soak 1/2 cup oat groats overnight or longer
  2. Drain the oat groats and place in a food processor (or use a blender if you don't have one) along with 4-5 strawberries, 1/2 a small banana, 1/2 tsp stevia, and 1/8 tsp pink salt, and blend. 
Don’t forget to “likeus on Facebook.  Let’s be friends on Pinterest and we can follow each other on Twitter and Google Plus.  And check out my other blog OhYou Crafty Gal.  

©Minneapolis Homestead www.theurbanhomestaed.blogspot.com All rights reserved. Photos and content cannot be reproduced

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts