Garlic Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes (Dairy Free)

By JULIE - 8:33:00 PM

If you haven't tried cauliflower mashed potatoes yet, I seriously suggest you give it a chance.  I tried it once like a couple years a go and thought it tasted weird and decided I still do not like cauliflower.  That's right I hate cauliflower.  Well until now that is.  I hope I can grow some this spring now!  I never have tried since I never liked it.  I don't remember what I did to make it before but clearly I have improved, because this is so good I don't know if I will ever have real mashed potatoes again.  And what's great about this recipe is it doesn't even use butter or cream.  Instead I used olive oil and it doesn't have any dairy.  If your like me and not a big fan of cauliflower or are afraid your kids or company might not like it start off with half cauliflower half potatoes.  

What Makes This Taste like Mashed Potatoes?
OK here's my secret.  The key is to make sure it has the taste of broth without extra liquid.  Notice I used only olive oil and no water in this recipe.  By using Better than Bouillon soup base (which is a concentrated broth) you get an added savory taste without it being to watery, so do not substitute this with broth!     If your a vegetarian you can try their organic vegetable food base instead.

Garlic Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes
Makes 4 (1 Cup Servings)

Ingredients:
1 1/2 pounds organic cauliflower fresh or frozen (I used frozen because it's easier and cheaper). 
cut into large florets (about 8 cups)

1 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
3 garlic cloves, peeled and pressed (or 2 tsp of garlic puree)

1/4 tsp of organic better than bouillon chicken broth (can sub vegetarian) most supermarkets have this
Pink salt to taste
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives

Instructions

  1. In a large saucepan, combine 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil and pressed garlic cook on low for about 1 minute be sure not to burn.  Allow olive oil to cool for a little bit (just because food processors are plastic) and place in your food processor.
  2. In the same sauce pan as before and  cauliflower, and just enough water to cover the bottom of the pot.. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until cauliflower is tender, about 12 minutes (longer if frozen). 
  3. Drain cauliflower and. transfer cauliflower and 1/4 tsp of chicken bouillon to the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth, pulsing in some more olive oil if necessary, to moisten mixture. Check the flavor and if it's not to salty and bland add another 1/4 tsp chicken better than bouillon. Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Just before serving, stir in chives. Serve warm.
Don’t forget to “likeus on Facebook.  Let’s be friends on Pinterest and we can follow each other on Twitter and Google Plus.  And check out my other blog OhYou Crafty Gal.  

©Minneapolis Homestead www.theurbanhomestaed.blogspot.com All rights reserved. Photos and content cannot be reproduced

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts