Low Sugar Vanilla Ice Cream With Strawberry Sauce Recipe

By JULIE - 6:45:00 PM


My husband and I have just started to make our own ice cream this year.  I love being able to make up my own flavors and use less sugar.  Since we're only making our own ice cream now, we have it less often and it's better for us, all organic, less sugar, and made with unpasteurized eggs.  Love that!  Homemade taste so much better too!  I also topped mine of with my raw low sugar strawberry sauce I had left over from my no bake strawberry "cheese" cake, and it was fantastic on ice cream.  And it's so easy to make it's a crime not too.
 We have a 2 quart ice cream maker, but I made 1 quart for several reasons, one I didn't want to have too much around to tempt me, two it's easier to perfect new recipes the more batches you make, and I found a post on the blog Gnowflings that said ice cream freezes better if the container isn't so full.  Warden of Gnowflings  also had a lot of other cool tips to get creamy, not icy ice cream

Now that I feel I've perfected my low sugar recipe I plan to experiment with different flavors that are hard to find anywhere next.  Look for that to come soon!


Low Sugar Vanilla Ice Cream (makes 1 quart)

Ingredients 
  • 1/3 cup of organic sugar
  • 1/4 cup of stevia (or can sub 3/4 cup of organic sugar)
  • 4 cups organic 1/2 and 1/2 (1 quart)
  • 1/2 cup of organic cream
  • 1 tablespoon of pure vanilla extract 
  • 4 organic eggs beaten
  • 1/4 tsp pink salt
  • 1 tablespoon of organic (so that it's not GM) cornstarch 
Directions
  1. Mix the sugar, stevia, cornstarch, and salt in a large sauce pan.
  2. Over medium heat slowly stir in the half and half and cream, stirring constantly.
  3. Very slowly add the beaten eggs and continue to stir.  Reduce heat to low and cook until mixture thickens slightly then slowly add the vanilla.  
  4. Pour into a large bowl or the canister (according to Warden it can help to freeze the canister first) and put in the refrigerator for 2-4 hrs or until the mixture has cooled and remove from refrigerator and pour into canister if you placed in a glass bowl.  
  5. Freeze your mixture according to your ice makers instructions.

Raw Low Sugar Strawberry Sauce Recipe 
(makes 1/2 a pint and fits into a wide mouth 1/2 pint canning jar perfectly!)
Ingredients

  • 3/4 cup of fresh or frozen organic strawberries 
  • 3 tablespoons of raw honey (can sub with raw agave syrup)
  • 2 tsp of stevia (can sub 1/4 cup of raw honey or agave syrup)
  • 1 tsp of organic lemon juice 
Directions
  1.  Place 1 cup of fresh or frozen strawberries, 3 tablespoons of raw honey, 2 tsp of stevia, and 1/2 tsp of lemon juice in your food processor, blender, or bullet.  
  2. Blend until it looks like syrup and all ingredients are blended well.  Taste and add more stevia or honey if not sweet enough for you.
Don’t forget to “likeus on Facebook.  Let’s be friends on Pinterest and we can follow each other on Twitter and Google Plus.  And check out my other blog OhYou Crafty Gal.  

©Minneapolis Homestead www.theurbanhomestaed.blogspot.com All rights reserved. Photos and content cannot be reproduced

 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts