Healthy Low Carb Banana Nut Bread Recipe
By Julie Sews - 10:20:00 PM
I used America's Test kitchen's recipe for Banana Bread and tweaked it to be a little healthier. I made it for some friends recently and it was so good I wanted to make it again! I used coconut oil in place of some of the butter, because it's healthier and coconut goes well with bananas. I also substituted all purpose flour with wheat almond flour, and flax ( I added an extra egg and 1 tsp of tapioca flour and xanthum gum to help adjust for the use of less grains). I also changed baking soda to baking powder to further ensure a rise. I reduced the amount of sugar in the original recipe to less than 1/4 cup a loaf! and replaced some with stevia (a natural no calorie alternative). I did not add yogurt only because I did not have any in the house and did not feel like it was so important to the recipe that it justified a trip to the store. America's Test Kitchen claimed it helped make it moist without masking the banana flavor. They said their key was to also use very ripe bananas and to mash them instead of pureeing them.
Healthy Low Carb Banana Nut Bread
(Makes 2 loaves eat one now and freeze one for later)
- 1 cups of organic whole wheat bread flour
- 1 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 1/2 cup of organic ground flax (flax meal)
- 1/3 cup of organic sugar
- 2 tablespoon stevia
- 1 teaspoon of pink salt
- 1 tsp tapioca four
- 1 tsp xanthum gum (optional but will help hold together due to low gluten)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of aluminum free baking powder
- 7-8 very ripe bananas (about 3 1/4 cups)
- ¼ cup of plain organic yogurt (optional)
- 5 large organic eggs
- ¼ cup of melted grass fed butter (can sub with coconut oil)
- 1/4 cups of coconut oil melted (can sub with pasture raised butter)
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cup of walnuts, toasted and chopped coarse
- Adjust an oven rack to the lower-middle position and heat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 9X5 inch pan and set aside.
- Wisk the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl and set aside.
- Mix the mashed bananas, yogurt, eggs, butter, and vanilla together with a wooden spoon in a medium bowl. Lightly fold the ingredients with a rubber spatula until just combined. Fold in the walnuts. Scrape the batter into the prepared loaf pans.
- Bake until the loaf is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean , 50-60 min. Cool in the pan for 5 min, then transfer to a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.