My husband needed to bring a dessert for an office potluck, so I wanted to make something everyone would like (who doesn't like chocolate and peanut butter), uses simple ingredients (uses ingredients in most peoples pantry's), not too unhealthy (I wouldn't call this health food but it is healthier than normal Rice Krispy bars), is easy to make (no bake all you need is a microwave and a bowl an spoon), transports well (my husband commutes on a train to work), and doesn't need refrigeration. Or in other words the perfect potluck dessert. This would also be great for lunches, picnics, road trips, holidays, gifts, etc.
Luckily I think I nailed it. Finally I have the perfect pot luck dessert recipe in my pocket. My husband loved it, (which is not surprising since he is obsessed with peanut butter and chocolate) and said his feedback from us coworkers was good too. The creaminess of the peanut butter combined with the chewiness of the Rice Krispie treat is a match made in heaven!
This is gluten free and if peanut butter allergies are a problem you can simply substitute almond or sunflower butter for peanut butter.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Rice Krispy Bars
(GF No Bake)
Makes 16 servings (serving size is 2"x2" pieces)
- 3 cups Rice Krispies
- 1 cup organic unsalted peanut butter (make sure you get organic it's a heavily pesticide, herbicided crop), can sub almond butter
- 3/4 cup organic powdered sugar (get organic to avoid GMO beets)
- 1/2 stick Pasture raised butter (4 Tablespoons)
- 3 Tablespoons of honey ( I used raw local honey from our farmers market)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp sea salt or pink salt (omit if using salted peanut butter)
- 1 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1 Tablespoon organic peanut butter
- 1 tsp 1/2 and half, milk, or favorite milk alternative
- pinch or sea salt
Don’t forget to “like” us on Facebook. Let’s be friends on Pinterest and we can follow each other on Twitter and Google Plus. And check out my other blog OhYou Crafty Gal.
- In a large mixing bowl put in the peanut butter honey and butter and warm up the above ingredients in a large glass bowl in the microwave. Use the shortest time on the melt setting if you have one on your microwave otherwise use a low power setting.
- With a hand mixer on medium speed until combined. Add powdered sugar, salt (omit if using salted peanut butter) and vanilla. Beat until fluffy. Stir if you don't have a mixer.
- Stir in RICE KRISPIES cereal, mixing until thoroughly combined.
- Press mixture evenly into 8 x 8 x 2-inch pan coated with cooking spray (I used disposable plastic gloves and pressed down hard.
- Place 1 1/4 cup of chocolate chips, 1 Tablespoon of peanut butter, and 1 tsp milk in a small glass bowl (or put into the same bowl you used for the above steps to cut down on dishes) place in the microwave. Use the shortest time on the melt setting if you have one on your microwave otherwise use a low power setting. Stir the chocolate mixture if it's not melted yet after stirring repeat.
- Once the chocolate mixture is melted pour and spread on top of the bars, place in the fridge to set.
- Refrigerate until firm (about 20-30 min).