Creamy Peanut Butter Hummus Recipe (with a surprise secret healthy ingredient!)

By JULIE - 10:02:00 PM

image via The Realistic Nutritionist
Today I feel like doing cartwheels.  I finally mastered the art of making hummus.  I've made some plenty of times in the past and it's always just been OK.  No where near as good as the hummus we have at Good Earth.


I think it was the texture that was always off for me.  To me really good hummus should have a creamy almost whipped texture.  My version of Food Should Taste Good's peanut butter hummus hits the texture mark right on the nose.  The key I believe after trial and error to good humus is adding the right amount of water  and an extra fool proof ingredient rarely found in hummus, yogurt.  I got the ideal from celebrity chef Nigella and I couldn't help but try it.  I don't think I could ever make hummus again without a little yogurt.  It really is what I think made this batch a winner finally.

I decided to make peanut butter hummus today after checking out the amazing selection of dip recipes on Food Should Taste Good's website.  Seriously tons of great recipes!   I was trying to find some dip recipes that worked with what's in my pantry, since our car was in the shop today and I've already done all my grocery shopping for Thanksgiving.  I had never heard of peanut butter hummus.  I was intrigued.  Apparently with peanut butter hummus you just swap peanut butter for tahini  (a spread made from ground sesame seeds, which lends an extra nutty quality that transforms chickpeas into hummus). I actually have tahini in the house but thought I'd try peanut butter instead.  I love the ideal that you don't need to have tahini to make hummus.




I decided to pair my peanut butter humus with Food Should Taste Good's harvest pumpkin tortilla chips.  The tortilla chips are made with pumpkin, cinnamon, and nutmeg.  I thought it would be a good accompaniment with the peanut butter since both pumpkin and peanut butter can go either sweet or savory.   It turned out to be a great match.  I also think their chocolate, or sweet potato chips would also be great with this dip.

While making this recipe I thought it would be to much dip for just my husband and I, but I doubt we will have any problem finishing this.  We totally pigged out today on this dip.  I set aside some and froze it to serve at Thanksgiving.  I also plan to serve nut mix, cheese, Trader Joe's fig and olive crisps, pickles, and olives.  What do you plan to serve for appetizers for Thanksgiving?

Peanut Butter Hummus Recipe 
(Serve With Pumpkin or Sweet Potato Chips!) 

Yield: 2-3 Cups
Serving Size: 6-8 people 


Ingredients
  • 1 can of garbanzo (chick pea) beans or 1 cup dry cooked I cooked mine in a crockpot
  • ¼ cup water (add more if needed for consistency)
  • 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 ½ tablespoon lemon juice
  • 3 tablespoons peanut butter
  • 4 tablespoons  or ¼ cup plain organic yogurt (I used Trader Joe's pasture raised organic plain European style yogurt $3.30 for 32 oz)
  • ½ tsp paprika
  • ½ tsp garlic powder
  • ½ tsp cumin
  • ¾ tsp sea salt
  • ground pepper optional to taste
Directions:
  1. Make sure you drain, rinse and re-drain the chickpeas. The water in the can of chickpeas is cloudy and starchy. You'll want to discard that. 
  2.  Mix the peanut butter, olive oil, lemon juice, water, chick peas, yogurt, cumin, garlic powder, paprika, and salt and pepper to food processor (or blender). 
  3. Turn on the machine for about 30 seconds. Stop the machine, scrape down the sides, and start the machine again and blend until smooth and creamy. If the hummus is too thick, add up to 1 tablespoon of water until desired consistency.
  4. Taste and adjust salt.
  5. Garnish with chopped peanuts. Serve with Food Should Taste Good® Multigrain, pumpkin, Sweet Potato, or Chocolate Tortilla Chips, or veggies.
Store home made hummus in an airtight container and refrigerator for up to  four days in the refrigerator, and can be put in the freezer in a freezer safe container.  I place mine in half pint canning jars that are freezable (if you use a canning jar make sure it is freezable not all are!) make sure you leave a bit of room for it to expand and freeze.  Just place in the fridge the night before you want to use it to defrost.

Don’t forget to “likeus on Facebook.  Let’s be friends on Pinterest and we can follow each other on Twitter and Google Plus.  And check out my other blog OhYou Crafty Gal.

 ©Minneapolis Homestead All rights reserved. Photos and content cannot be reproduced  http://theurbanhomestaed.blogspot.com

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts