When Should You Warm Up Work Out And Stretch?

By JULIE - 7:00:00 AM

image source
I am trying to develop a workout routine for myself that I will actually follow (I'm not one of those wake up and go to the gym people).  I need it to be something I can do inside mostly with little to no equipment.  I am a newbie to exercise outside of getting out and trying to bike and walk a lot I do not exercise.  My strategy is to follow the advice of trainers to people who really know fitness.  Since I'm new to exercising I wondered "What is the proper exercise routine I should be doing?" According to personal trainer,  Darin Steen, (You can watch him explain in detail in the video below) and Web MD you should:
  • 10 min areobic warm up (jump rope, jumping jacks, power walking) 
  • 5 min stretching (arm circles, stretches like in gym class)
  • 45-60 min intense work out (resistance training, yoga, interval cardio, etc)
  •  Intense stretching  4 or 5 streatches  for each muscle group you worked on (4 to 5 seconds taking each one further) 
  • Cool down (light power walk)
Trainer Darin Steen talks about when and how to warm up, work out, and stretch (9 min)

Since I am currently trying to lose 10 pounds, I have decided I should start doing cardio 3 days a week for 30 min, and to continue doing pilates twice a week  I tried doing the Tracy Anderson cardio workout I posted about, but I found it to be hard to follow.  Most of her videos she gives little instruction and just starts.  I love to dance free style, but can't follow choreography at all. So this was a hard one for me, but I did like the dance aspect, the energy, and the music was pretty good.  I still got a good work out, I just didn't really fall into place with any of the moves.

 I found a few videos I think could be good.  I wanted to find a good warm up video for cardio.  I really like the Jillian Micheal's cardio warm up video I found.  She likes to stretch and move at the same time which is called dynamic stretching. Dynamic stretching is basically stretching with motion, so your body gets a chance to warm up the muscles slowly and in a functional way. It's a 1-2-3 punch: You warm up your body, get your heart rate up, and stretch all at the same time!

Jillian Micheals Dynamic Stretching Cardio Warm up 

So now all I need is a high energy cardio dance video that's simple enough to follow without instruction,  and has good music.  I looked at a lot of videos and settled on one by Deanne Berry, an Australian
dancer fitness instructor, and choreographer, called Pump it Up.  It's split up into 8 parts on YouTube, each about 10 minutes long.  Parts 1-3 are the warm up, gradually building up to part 4 the "high energy" work out and part 5 and 6 seems to be bums and tums and part 7 and 8 are the final cool down.  She doesn't give much instruction but these moves seem so much simpler that I doubt I'll have a problem.  Also the moves I think mimic the level of energy Tracy Anderson uses, like lots of jumping which I would assume would get your heart rate up ad burn a lot of calories.   I also love the 80's style leg warmers and graphics!  She seems fun. She has a 2 min video warm up (with K-Swiss) if you want a quick warm up. Her warm up seems to follow along Jillian's style (using dynamic stretching) and seems good.  She's done a lot of short focused video with KSwiss that seem good too.
Deanne Berry warm up (2 min)

Pump It Up Dance Cardio Part 1/8(10 min)

Deanne Barry Cool Down (4 min)

So in summary for cardio I think I found my girl in Deanne Barry!  I think we can be work out buddies.  I plan to start with my own plan we'll call it Deanne Barry light with her 2 min warm up or Jillian Micheal's warm up for 6 min, and then do the Pump It Up video for 30 min the warm up part of the video (part 1 posted above) followed by her cool down video (it looks more like intensive stretching to me), and a 5 min walk around the block as a cool down.   Did you catch that?  I plan to use her warm up as my work out.  Yeah I know that sounds wussy, but I'd rather start out light and work up to doing her full I'm guessing 1 hr 20 min video (that provides a warm up and cool down in it).

Disclamer
I am not a doctor, dietitian, nutritionist, or fitness expert. I have ZERO medical training and NO formal nutritional or fitness training.  The information provided on this site, such as text, graphics, images, is for informational purposes only. It is not to be construed as medical care or medical advice and is not a replacement for medical care given by physicians or trained medical personnel.  Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare provider(s) when experiencing symptoms or health problems, or before starting any new treatment.

Don’t forget to “likeus on Facebook.  Let’s be friends on Pinterest and we can follow each other on Twitter and check out my other blog OhYou Crafty Gal.  

©Minneapolis Homestead www.theurbanhomestaed.blogspot.com All rights reserved. Photos and content cannot be reproduced

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts