Protein Blueberry Pancakes With Raspberry Syrup Recipe (Gluten Free, Sugar Free, Low Carb)

By JULIE - 7:00:00 AM


For the last few months I have been trying to have low sugar and carbs (only complex carbs), because of a yeast imbalance that I have (sugar feeds yeast, and refined carbs break down to sugar).  And I've also been trying to gluten free as much as possible.  Given all my new restrictions their are certain foods I haven't had in a long time.  One of them is pancakes.   I came across a recipe on Blogiliates (I actually follow Casey Ho's pilates lessons online and was surprised to find she has amazing recipes too.  I had no idea) for pancakes made with protein powder as flour, hummm... interesting I  thought.  Could they really be good?  They looked normal.  It seemed to simple, I was skeptical.  I tried her recipe slightly altered.  I did not use psyllium husk, even though I had it on hand because I have found psyllium husk to get a gummy and weird texture when exposed to liquid for to long.  So I used flax meal in place of psyllium husk.  I was also worried about the fact that there was no leaveners used in the recipe (to produce the air bubbles).   I added some baking powder and just a little baking soda.  It turned out a little cardboard like and broke when I tried to flip it.  I could tell the recipe had promise but needed some work.  Enter my quest for the perfect low carb high protein gluten free pancake. 

I determined it did need some kind of  GF flour or grain (to give the pancakes a little more body), some healthy fat to add moisture, and some stevia to add sweetness without adding sugar.  So I've been tinkering around with recipes and I think I've finally got it!  The perfect GF, high protein, sugar free pancakes with a good mix of complex carbs, healthy fat, and high protein.  Talk about a healthy breakfast to fuel you for the day!

Protein Blueberry Pancakes With Raspberry Syrup Recipe 
(Gluten Free, Sugar Free, Low Carb)
 (makes about 4 medium to large sized pancakes serves 1-2)
 
Ingredients
  • 2 scoops of whey powder (4 tablespoons or 40g) I use Nutrition Defenses, it's from grass fed cows and low temp pressed with no additives.  If you're vegan you can try hemp protein powder.
  • 1/2 cup of organic oat flour (make sure that you get GF oats if you are on a GF diet)
  • 1/4 cup of organic flax meal
  • 1 1/2 tsp of stevia (or sub with 1 1/2 tablespoon of honey or maple syrup)
  • 1 tsp of baking powder
  • 1/8 tsp of baking soda
  • 1/8 tsp of pink salt
  • 2 large organic egg (seperated)
  • 1/2 cup of organic buttermilk (can sub with water, almond milk, coconut milk, etc.)
  • 2 tablespoons of melted coconut oil (or melted organic butter)
  • 1/3 cup of frozen or fresh organic blueberries (I get frozen wild pesticide free blueberries at Trader Joe's for $3.50/lb

Directions
  1. Mix 4 tablespoons of whey powder, 1/3 cup of buckwheat, 1/4 cup of organic flax meal, 1 tsp of baking powder, 1/8 tsp baking soda, 1/8 tsp pink salt, and 1 1/2 tsp of stevia into a small bowl
  2. Beat the egg whites until they form peaks
  3. Make a well with the dry ingredients and add 1/2 cup of buttermilk slowly mixing with a fork or wisk, once mixed add egg yolks and 2 tsp of melted coconut oil and mixed until well incorporated.
  4. fold in egg white peaks
  5. pour on a hot griddle and sprinkle blueberries on pancake
  6. turn heat to medium and flip when slightly brown
  7. Serve hot with Raspberry Syrup 
Sugar Free Raspberry Syrup
(makes 1 1/4 cups)

Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup of water
  • 1 1/2 cups of organic raspberries
  • 2 tablespoon of stevia
  • 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
Directions
  • Combine the ingredients in a large saucepan, stir, and bring to a boil. 
  • Reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally for 15 min.
  • Remove from heat, cover with plastic wrap, and infuse for at least 2 hrs, or overnight
  • Pour through a fine mesh strainer and firmly press out the juices to release the pectin (I was lazy and didn't do this step resulting in a chunky syrup with lots of seeds as pictured above). 
  • (Can be refrigerated in a covered container up to 4 days or up to 3 months if frozen, or you could can it!)
Don’t forget to “likeus on Facebook.  Let’s be friends on Pinterest and we can follow each other on Twitter and Google Plus.  And check out my other blog OhYou Crafty Gal.  

©Minneapolis Homestead www.theurbanhomestaed.blogspot.com All rights reserved. Photos and content cannot be reproduced 

Similar Posts You Might Like:
Wake up to Breakfast Already Made: Overnight Crock Pot Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal Recipe
Healthy Pumpkin Muffins: Low Sugar and Fat, High Protein and Fiber
High Protein Cinnamon Roll Crepes (GF, low sugar, low carb)
High Protein Banana Chocolate Chip Breakfast Cookies Recipe Healthy (GF, low Sugar, low fat )
Fluffy Gluten and Grain Free Pancakes and waffles With Honey Cinnamon Butter Syrup

 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts