Crispy Hash Browns From Scratch In Half The Time

By JULIE - 4:26:00 PM


I love hash browns, and over the years I have developed tips to make the best and quickest hash browns from scratch, so here they are!

from chow
How To Make Hash Browns in Half the Time
Sometimes I skip hash browns because they take too long.  That was until I had a great idea about how to make them in half the time.  Are you ready for it?  Use your waffle iron or you could probably use a panini press or George Foreman style grill.  I used my Black and Decker  waffle iron/ griddle/grill. It turns out crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside.  No turning or flipping.
  • Just grate organic potatoes on the large holes of a box grater. 
  • set your grill to medium temp
  • Strain water out of the shredded potatoes (see below)
  • spray grill with grapeseed or safflower oil (because it is non gmo oils that are high heat)
  • put hash browns on the grill sprinkle with pink salt (or season salt, my secret ingredient) and shredded cheddar cheese if you want and cook for 8-10 min
How To Make Your Hash Browns Crispy
I heard on America's Test Kitchen that you need to squeeze out the water in the potatoes before cooking them.  I used a clean dish cloth (only to stain it brown due to the potato liquid) and have been using this method ever since.  I did however read on Simply Recipes that a potato ricer works better at squeezing out the water.  I will certainly try this next time and post here how it went.

Don’t forget to “likeus on Facebook.  Let’s be friends on Pinterest and we can follow each other on Twitter and Google Plus.  And check out my other blog OhYou Crafty Gal.  

©Minneapolis Homestead www.theurbanhomestaed.blogspot.com All rights reserved. Photos and content cannot be reproduced

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts