How to Dry Age and Cook the Perfect Steak

By JULIE - 10:46:00 AM

image credit
I have been pretty confident that my steaks are just as good as most steak houses for years now.  My husband tells everyone they're the best.  I'm assuming he is genuine and not just coaxing my ego.  I do remember though the last time we went out for steaks at a steak house I thought "Wow mine are actually better, I could have saved a lot of money just making them myself".  Now maybe a really high end steakhouse might be better than mine....
My Tricks For the Perfect Steak
  • use a good cut like NY strip or rib eye that's grass-fed, not only is it healthier for you but it really does taste better.  I know it costs more but think of how much you pay at a steak house.
  •  salt heavily with pink salt or sea salt on all sides at least an hr before hand
  • don't overcook it take it's temp often! I use a digital programmable thermometer that buzzes when it hits the right temp 
  • use a reduction sauce it makes a huge difference!  You'll never go back to steak sauce again.  It is really easier to make than it sounds like I'll post my recipe soon, but until then here's a time saving tip, you can use beef broth powder to get a more concentrated flavor in less time.
ATK's Tip I Can't Wait to Try
I was just watching America's Test Kitchen (on PBS) and they had a genius tip I have never tried.  They explained with their cute cartoons the science behind how to cook a thick steak without a thick tough outer over cooked crust and undercooked center.  There trick is to pre- cook in the oven at 275 degrees. They explained that cooking at 120 degrees or lower activates enzymes in the meat that dry ages it (tenderizes it) and it will cook more evenly.  If your a regular reader you'll know that I love love love America's Test Kitchen also known as Cook's Illustrated or Cook's Country.  They have books, magazines and a TV show that airs on PBS Why?  Because they test recipes scientifically to come up with the best solutions to common cooking problems and they explain the actual science behind cooking.  Most of my recipes originate from ATK I just change it to increase nutrition based on my health research. I found a posting on a forum that sounded really good about this method they said to cook it in the oven until it is 90-95 degrees (about 25 min).  I wonder what would happen if I pre-heated it at warm for a while and then 275 degrees to increase the dry aging time?  
of ti
I can't wait to try my steaks using this method, if my steaks are already good just imagine.....  Guess what's for dinner tomorrow? 
  
Watch the video of America's Test Kitchen For the Science Behind
Why do Steaks Get Dry?

Summary For Perfect Steaks
  1. use a good cut like NY strip or ribeye that's grass-fed, not only is it healthier for you but it really does taste better.  I know it costs more but think of how much you pay at a steak house.
  2.  salt heavily with pink salt or sea salt on all sides at least an hr before hand and place covered in fridge until ready to cook
  3. Place in oven at 275 degrees until 90-95 degrees (about 25 min)
  4. sprinkle any dry rub if using on the meat, I use garlic powder and mustard powder with salt and pepper
  5. Sear on a hot cast iron skillet or grill in coconut oil or pasture raised lard for about 2 min
  6. don't overcook it take it's temp often! I use a digital programmable thermometer that buzzes when it hits the right temp 
  7. use a reduction sauce it makes a huge difference!  You'll never go back to steak sauce again.  It is really easier to make than it sounds like I'll post my recipe soon, but until then here's a time saving tip, you can use beef broth powder to get a more concentrated flavor in less time.
  8. allow your meat to rest for at least 10 min, if you don't you will lose all the juices.  While the meat is resting I like to put a little butter on the meat or you could use olive oil.
  9. Pour reduction sauce over and enjoy!

Don’t forget to “likeus on Facebook.  Let’s be friends on Pinterest and we can follow each other on Twitter and Google Plus.  And check out my other blog OhYou Crafty Gal.  

©Minneapolis Homestead www.theurbanhomestaed.blogspot.com All rights reserved. Photos and content cannot be reproduced

Pin It

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts