How to Make Kale Chips: Cheesy and Spicy 2 different ways

By JULIE - 3:33:00 PM


If you follow this blog you know that I love to grow kale in my garden.  Next to perennial veggies and fruit kale is the easiest plants we grow.  It's one of the first and last veggies in our garden every year.  I like that I can also harvest it whenever I want to.  It's also so nutritious it's a super food.  The only problem is we planted 6 kale plants this year and we only eat a little bit.  I like to sneak it into chocolate banana almond butter smoothies, and as a wrap for sandwiches.  I also occasionally add some to soup or stews.  But that doesn't amount to much.  So I'm determined to find some recipes with kale that I like.

My first attempt is to make kale chips, something I've been meaning to do forever.  I'm so glad I did.  It was very easy because kale is fast and easy to cut into chips.  It also doesn't have much moisture in it so it cooks faster than other veggies you can make into chips.  My husband surprised the heck out of me by really liking them.  He said and I quote, "I never thought I'd like kale."  I liked them and would make them again, but I do prefer zucchini chips texture wise more.  I felt like zucchini chips have a texture closer to potato chips myself, but these were easier to make than zucchini chips because I don't have any tools to cut veggies into chips so cutting kale into chips is way easier for me.  We also have an abundant amount of kale!

 I wanted to share with you two different ways to make cheesy spicy kale chips.  Spicy “Cheesy” Kale Chips is vegan and paleo friendly from Paulding and Co a mother daughter catering business based out of the San Francisco area.  Spicy Garlic Parmesan Kale Chips was developed by me to have maximum flavour and to be fast to make.   I encourage you to try both ways.  Bet you can't eat just one!

Spicy “Cheesy” Kale Chips
Image credit: Paulding and Co
Yield:  About 12 oz chips (2 one-gallon zip bags)

Ingredients 
▪ 2 ½ cups of raw cashews
▪ 1 large (Holland type) red bell pepper
▪ 2-3 red Fresno peppers
▪ 1-2 tsp lemon juice (to taste)
▪ 2 tsp mineralized sea salt
▪ 2 Tbs. nutritional yeast
▪ 3 bunches curly kale
  • Be sure to purchase ultra-fresh organic vegetables for this.
  • Soak the cashews in water for 3-4 hours. Combine with the stemmed and seeded peppers, lemon, salt and yeast in a blender. Puree. Taste the mixture, and if it needs it, add more salt or lemon. 
  • Strip the stems from the kale leaves-you can do this easily by holding the end of the stem in one hand, and firmly running the other hand up the sides of it, dislodging the leaf. The tough part of the stem will come off, leaving the tenderer part intact.
  • In a large bowl, combine the Kale with the blended mixture, using your hands (evenly) as possible distribute the mixture. Lay the leaves onto a dehydrator racks, crowding them but not stacking them. Dehydrate at 105° F for 12-16 hours, until very crisp. Store in sealed zip bags. If you don’t get them dry enough they will soften in the bag.
  • If you don’t have a dehydrator they can be laid out on a rack or over a pan in the oven with the temperature set as low as possible. The time to dehydrate will be greatly reduced, probably to about an hour or even less.  The chips will be a tasty snack!
For more information on Paulding & Co. recipes, please visit http://pauldingandco.com/recipes
San Francisco Bay Area


Spicy Parmesan Garlic Kale Chips



Ingredients 

6 to 8 cups (140 to 200 g) kale leaves
1/2 cup of parmesan or asiago cheese finely shredded (optional can sub an extra Tablespoon of nutritional yeast)
1/2 tsp pink or sea salt
1/2 tsp season salt (make sure it says NO MSG it's an excitotoxin)
1 Tbs. nutritional yeast (optional just adds an extra cheesy flavour)
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp paprika
pinch of cayenne powder
freshly ground pepper to taste 


Directions:
1.  Preheat oven 200 degrees
2.  Wash and thoroughly dry kale. 
3.  Strip the stems from the kale leaves (I used a knife to cut it out of each leaf).  
Cut the leaves into about 2-3" bits.  Think tortilla chip size.  I folded the leaves and stacked them in a pile directly on top of each other and cut them up in order to save time
4.  Put olive oil, nutritional yeast and spices into a very large bowl and stir.
5.  Put in kale to bowl and coat oil mixture evenly
6.  Toss kale in parmesan, coating the kale evenly.


6.  Spread into a single layer onto baking sheets, make sure they are not clumped up .
before baking

7.  bake for 50-60 min or until all are crispy
After baked

Don’t forget to “likeus on Facebook.  Let’s be friends on Pinterest and we can follow each other on Twitter and Google Plus.  And check out my other blog OhYou Crafty Gal.  


©Minneapolis Homestead www.theurbanhomestaed.blogspot.com All rights reserved. Photos and content cannot be reproduced


You may also like:

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts