Wavy Beach Hair: DIY Natural Sea Salt Spray
|Photo by luxora via Mother Earth Living|
Before I made my own surf spray I scoured the internet for recipes. One of the best I found was from Wellness Momma she pointed out that in Bumble to Bumble's Surf Spray it uses Magnesium Sulfate (aka Epsom Salt) instead of Sea Salt because it is less drying to the hair. Wellness Momma said they add conditioner in Bumble Bumble's Surf Spray, but I could not find it on the ingredients, but it doesn't hurt to put a tiny bit of oil in since it would act like a light leave in conditioner.
|Before and After from Free People|
DIY Natural Sea Salt Spray
(adapted from Wellness Momma)
- 1 cup of warm distilled water (not boiling)
- 2 tablespoons epsom salts (or more for extra texture)
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan or Sea Salt (optional but adds stiffness)
- 1 teaspoon aloe vera gel (optional)
- 1 teaspoon of your favourite oil (olive, almond, jojoba, etc.)
- 1 teaspoon vodka or alcohol to use as a preservative, (you don't want it to get moldy!)
- Optional: a small dab of natural hair gel
- Optional: a few drops of your favourite essential oils
- Optional: 1 teaspoon lemon juice (if you want to lighten hair)
- Optional: a few drops of kelp or seaweed extract (is listed as an active ingredient in Bumble to Bumble's Surf Spray
- Use a sterile spray bottle that holds at least 10 ounces, I like to reuse containers for mine but you can also often get bottles at your local coop or health food store, your local dollar store, or online.
- Put the warm water in the spray bottle and add the Epsom salts, sea salt (optional), aloe vera, oil, scent (optional) and lemon juice/vodka (if using).
- Put the cap on the bottle and shake for 1-2 minutes or until Epsom salts and sea salt are dissolved.
- Spray on damp hair and scrunch with a towel to dry for loose beach waves.
- Store in the fridge. It should last 3-4 months or longer.
Don’t forget to “like” us on Facebook. Let’s be friends on Pinterest and we can follow each other on Twitter and Google Plus. And check out my other blog OhYou Crafty Gal.
©Minneapolis Homestead www.theurbanhomestaed.blogspot.com All rights reserved. Photos and content cannot be reproduced
You may also like: