Low Carb Sweet Potato Biscuits with Honey Cinnamon Butter Spread (Dairy free)

By JULIE - 2:35:00 PM


Every year I host Thanksgiving at our house.  I am already starting starting on preparing what I can freeze until Thanksgiving.  I've learned it's best to do as much ahead that you can, that way if it doesn't turn out no big deal, you can try again or just buy it pre-made.  Yesterday I started with Sweet Potato Biscuits.  I made Martha Stewart's last year and served them with a honey cinnamon compound butter spread.  And they turned out fabulous, the only problem was I made them too big (considering all the food everyone eats on Thanksgiving), so this year I made them smaller.  I doubled the recipe (why not make more since you can freeze them for later), and I altered the original recipe to have healthier fat, less carbs, no sugar., and I added cinnamon to help stabilize blood sugar.  They still turned out great.  I greatly reduced the grains in this recipe so it's lower gluten but not gluten free, if you have a guest for thanksgiving that is sensitive to gluten you could try using all coconut flour instead.  The only reason I didn't is I don't like to take a recipe to far from the original recipe the first time around. Also do not reduce the amount of fat in this recipe.  I have tried this ( I reduced to 9 tablespoons of fat) and it was a bit dry.  So I instead replaced half the fat with coconut oil, which is a very healthy fat that is baking stable.

These freeze great so don't be afraid to make to many!  I make these a week ahead for Thanksgiving and enjoy some fresh the day I bake it and freeze the rest.  I take it out the night before Thanksgiving to defrost and warm it up in the oven (for about 5 -10 min on warm) just before I serve everything.  They come out perfect like I just baked them!


Low Carb Sweet Potato Biscuits 
(makes about 12 2 1/2" biscuits) 

Ingredients
Dry
2  cup of almond flour or cashew meal (it's at Trader Joe's for $5/lb).
3/4 cup  of flax meal
1 cup of organic whole wheat flour
2 tsp stevia (can sub 2 tablespoons of honey instead)
2 tsp pink salt
1 1/2 tablespoons of aluminum free baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
6 tablespoons unsalted organic butter (chilled)
1/3 cup of extra virgin coconut oil (not melted)

Wet
1 1/2 cup of cooled sweet potato puree (15 oz (a little under a lb)of sweet potatoes peeled, cut and boiled, mashed with a potato masher or food proccessor)
1/2 cup of  favourite milk alternative (I used cashew milk)
1 large organic egg

Directions
  1. Make the dough: In a large bowl, whisk together flour, stevia, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda. With a pastry blender or two knives, cut in butter and coconut oil until mixture resembles coarse meal, with some pea-sized lumps of butter remaining. In a small bowl, whisk together sweet potato purée, 1 egg, and coconut milk; stir quickly into flour mixture until combined (do not over mix).  The dough should be on the wet side but if it is too sticky to work with, work in up to 1/4 cup additional flour, but be careful not to add too much or your biscuits will be dry and crumbly.
  2. Shape the biscuits: Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and knead very gently until dough comes together but is still slightly lumpy, five or six times. Shape into a disk, and pat to an even 1-inch thickness. With a floured 2-inch biscuit cutter, cut out biscuits as close together as possible. Gather together scraps, and repeat to cut out more biscuits (do not reuse scraps more than once).
  3. Bake the biscuits: Preheat oven to 400 degrees, with rack on lower shelf. Butter an 8-inch cake pan. Arrange biscuits snugly in pan (to help them stay upright). Brush with melted butter. Bake until golden, rotating once, 18 to 25 minutes (the smaller your biscuit the faster it will be done and the bigger the biscuit the longer it will take to bake).  Poke a tooth pick or fork into it if it comes up clean it is done if not keep checking every 5 min until it is done.
 Honey Cinnamon Butter Spread

Ingredients
1/2 stick of grass fed butter (1/4 cup)
3 tablespoon of honey
1 tsp cinnamon

Directions
Place butter that's been cut into pieces into a bowl  along with 1 tsp of cinnamon and 1 tablespoon of honey and use an emulsion blender or hand held mixer to whip up the spread.  Mix until all ingredients are evenly distributed and it looks like a spread.

Don’t forget to “likeus on Facebook.  Let’s be friends on Pinterest and we can follow each other on Twitter and Google Plus.  And check out my other blog OhYou Crafty Gal.  

©Minneapolis Homestead www.theurbanhomestaed.blogspot.com All rights reserved. Photos and content cannot be reproduced

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts