July 2012 Week 1 Garden Update and June Produce Tally

By JULIE - 6:55:00 PM

Garden A July 1 2012
 Our garden is growing like a jungle now!  I've been behind on a few things with getting the garden established.  I had some things I wanted to transplant and move around still, but the heat killed that plan.  We had a lot of tomato helpers in our already crowded concrete raised bed.   But, not a good ideal to transplant in 100 degree heat!   I feel like they're too established now, so we'll see what happens.  I also was behind in building our trellises when I saw that he were going to have a heat wave all week of 105 to 110 degree heat index.  The problem is I needed to build the trellises outside and our plants are going crazy and can't wait more than a week even with my temporary stick trellises.  So what I did was I worked a little every day in the mourning.  I finished them and we still have to put one more in.  I'll post a full tutorial and pics of the trellises in our garden soon.  We had one finished for the picture below.


Garden A: Roma and cherry tomatoes, kale, cilantro bolting
Garden B July 1 2012
 I feel like this is the time of the year where our garden is set for better or worse.  It's nice cause I no longer have empty places to worry about wasting space or what I should put there.  Will those seeds I just threw down actually grow and if not can I even buy anything from the nurseries anymore stuff like that.
Garden B: pole beans, radishes, turnips, and carrots
Garden B: Sugar Snap Peas Beets and Turnips
July 1 2012 Arugula, Cabbage, Romaine Lettuce, Red Lettuce, Bok Choy
I never thinned out our wood container of arugula, cabbage, bok choy, red lettuce, and romaine.  I know what your thinking, why did she plant cabbage in their?  Well the truth is I just threw a bunch of seeds in their without really thinking about it.  And then I never even thinned them out, soooo our lettuce has not been productive, my bad.  Now I know for fall what not to do.   They are also going to bolt.  I think I will build a top for the box that can work as a cold frame and a shaded top as well. 
July 1 2012 Potato bin flowering
Our potatoes have been flowering for awhile.  My understanding is that once potatoes start to flower they start to grow potatoes and won't grow up anymore.  I ran out of boards to build up and have been lazy with hilling up the potatoes, so hopefully this won't hurt our  harvest.

June Produce Tally
  • strawberries 17 lbs (from May and June)
  • raspberries 4.8 lbs
  • catnip 8 oz
  • spinach 7 oz
  • rhubarb 6 oz
 Total = about 23 lbs


Don’t forget to “likeus on Facebook.  Let’s be friends on Pinterest and we can follow each other on Twitter and Google Plus.  And check out my other blog OhYou Crafty Gal.  

©Minneapolis Homestead www.theurbanhomestaed.blogspot.com All rights reserved. Photos and content cannot be reproduced

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts