Cheesy Bacon and Sun Dried Tomatoes Grits Recipe
When your so busy you don't have time to cook, it makes you appreciate good food when you finally do have the time to cook! I've been dreaming of cheesy grits with bacon for days and I finally was able to make it. It was worth the wait!
What are Grits or Polenta Anyways?
If you are a northerner like me you have probably asked yourself this at some time. It's actually made from corn meal or hominy. Grits are usually prepared by adding one part grits to two-to-three parts boiling water, sometimes seasoned with salt or sugar. They are usually cooked for 15 – 20 minutes or until the water is absorbed and the grits become a porridge-like consistency.
Cheesy Bacon and Sun Dried Tomatoes Grits
(yields 2 servings) adopted from a Martha Stewart's recipe
- 1/2 cup of organic polenta
- 2 cups of whole organic milk
- 1/4 tsp of pink salt
- course ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon of organic butter
- 1/4 cup of sun dried tomatoes diced
- 4 slices of nitrate free pasture raised bacon cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 tsp of crushed garlic (optional)
- green onions to taste (optional)
- Heat a large saucepan on low and place bacon bits in it. Cook until golden brown and remove from the pan and place on a paper towel lined plate. Remove the grease but leave just a little to coat the bottom.
- Put in two cups of milk and let it come to a boil and slowly mix in 1/2 cup of polenta. Turn down the heat to medium and add in garlic, butter, salt and peper, and cheese, stir frequently for about 6 min.
- once thick turn off of heat and add sun dried tomatoes, green onions, and bacon and serve.