Cool Videos Showing Urban Homesteads: Get Ideas For Planning Your Garden This Year

By JULIE - 10:10:00 AM

I've been watching videos of urban homesteads to help visualize and plan our garden this year.  We are planning on tripling the size of our garden, so I am in full planning mode right now.  I will also be very busy this spring with landscape projects.  Watching these videos are so making me antsy for spring to come.  It's hard to look outside at a foot of snow and think about starting plants indoors soon.  So here's the best videos I watched today:

http://www.yougrowgirl.com/2011/02/28/my-urban-garden
This garden is 260 sq ft in a Canadian city, (love seeing what people in my zone 4 or colder are doing, all those CA homestead's just aren't comparable to my growing zone).  It goes through all 4 seasons in a bit of a step by step manner.  It's from 1984, so You Grow Girl must be truly a great gardening resource.  My favorite idea I got from this video was using a ladder as a trellis for cherry tomatoes.  I put mine in a cage last year not realizing they were vining and ended up with a mad jungle of tomatoes.


CA Suburban 1/10 acre lot using raised beds with square foot methods(10 min.)  Although this is a suburban homestead it still is relevant to Urban homesteading since he has such a small lot.  He makes good use of his space.  Shows his tree kale I thought was very interesting.  I also like his case against lawns.  I think it's good to have a reminder of the uselessness of lawns, because it seems wrong to tear up your lawn.  I should know, It felt a bit crazy to tear up our lawn at first but we are so glad we did.  

Don’t forget to “likeus on Facebook.  Let’s be friends on Pinterest and we can follow each other on Twitter and Google Plus.  And check out my other blog OhYou Crafty Gal.  

©Minneapolis Homestead www.theurbanhomestaed.blogspot.com All rights reserved. Photos and content cannot be reproduced

Click Here to See Our Other Articles on Gardening

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts