|Image via CupcakeProject|
Years ago when I started trying to eat healthier I purged our pantry of all bad things. One of those was grenadine because it's seriously just high fructose corn syrup (which you know is GMO) with artificial food colouring made from petroleum (which has been thought to possibly contribute to ADD.), and preservatives.
I haven't really missed it cause I haven't mixed drinks in forever, but lately my husband and I wanted to make a red apple (basically vodka, apple juice, lemon juice, and grenadine), but I didn't want to buy grenadine with high fructose corn syrup. So I figured I would try to make some myself. Turns out grenadine is really just simple syrup made with sugar and pomegranate juice instead of water. It's also really not that hard to make!
|After you make your grenadine you can use it to make this Malibu Sunset from Averie Cooks|
How to Make Grenadine Syrup
- 1 cup unsweetened pomegranate juice
- 3/4-1 cup (depending on how sweet you want it) of cane sugar or organic sugar (so that it's not GMO)
- 1 tsp vodka (optional as a natural preservative)
- Bring the juice almost to a boil (don't let it boil).
- Dissolve the sugar into the boiling water, stirring constantly.
- Once the sugar is dissolved completely, remove the pan from the heat. (Note: Do not allow the syrup to boil for too long or the syrup will be too thick.)
- Allow to cool completely and thicken, then bottle in a sterilized container.
Don’t forget to “like” us on Facebook. Let’s be friends on Pinterest and we can follow each other on Twitter and Google Plus. And check out my other blog OhYou Crafty Gal.