Sun Dried Tomato Bacon Bean Dip

By JULIE - 5:51:00 PM


For the holidays my family did a pot luck.  I wanted to bring something healthy that required no cooking or refrigeration and would be something everyone would eat.  I also wanted it to be more filling and savory than sweet since most people bring desserts for pot lucks.  I decided to bring a veggie tray, make some really good healthy dip and to make grain free crackers (I 'll post that recipe soon).  It went over well and I made a huge batch of everything (I doubled this recipe and put it in freezable half pint containers and froze the extras) so now I'll have dip ready to go for snacking for awhile!


I chose beans as my base to get lots of good fiber, protein, vitamins and minerals.  I know bacon isn't known as the healthiest thing in the world but it adds great savory flavor to this dip and little is used.  You could sub uncured turkey bacon instead if your worried about unhealthy fat   The sun dried tomatoes and caramelized onions add extra nutrition and flavor.  This dip has a pretty heavy thick texture to it, so if you want to use it for dipping something not as sturdy (like veggies) I suggest adding plain Greek yogurt until desired consistency.  If your vegan or are dairy free  you could try adding more lemon juice or water instead.


Sun Dried Tomato Bacon Bean Dip
(makes 1 3/4 to 2 cups)
 
Ingredients
1 1/2 cups cooked white navy beans
2 strips of cooked uncured bacon
1/2 small onion chopped and caramelized (cooked until slightly brown)
1/2 cup of sun dried tomatoes (measured dried in a measuring cup) re hydrated in water
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tablespoon water
2 tablespoons of  yogurt (optional)
1/4 cup of olive oil
1 tsp pink salt
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon of onion powder
freshly ground pepper to taste

Directions
Place all ingredients in a food processor and mix until all blended

Don’t forget to “likeus on Facebook.  Let’s be friends on Pinterest and we can follow each other on Twitter and Google Plus.  And check out my other blog OhYou Crafty Gal.  

©Minneapolis Homestead www.theurbanhomestaed.blogspot.com All rights reserved. Photos and content cannot be reproduced






  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts