Every Christmas I like to make snack packs as gifts. I tend to go a bit crazy making lots of chocolates. You can see some examples here. While they turn out great and people love them, it is a bit too much work I've decided. So this year I was just going to make a batch or two of spiced nuts. That was until I found some fantastic easy healthy recipes for nuts, candies, and chocolates from "Paleo Indulgences" by Tammy Credicott. This recipe is the first of a few to come from her book (just slightly altered by me). A word of caution, these are highly addictive!
Easy Candied Coconut Walnut Clusters
(makes about 3 cups)
- 2 cups of coarsely chopped walnuts
- 2/3 cup maple syrup (we used maple syrup we made last year)
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut (sweetened coconut is fine if you want it sweeeter)
- 1/8 tsp pink salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Place all ingredients in a medium sized bowl and make sure all are coated with maple syrup.
- Pour the mixture onto a parchment lined baking sheet evenly
- Bake for 15- 20 min or until the coconut is toasted and the clusters are golden brown
- Wait until cooled completely and then break into pieces of desired length. You'll probably have some tiny pieces left over. Save these to add to nut mixes or sprinkle on cereal, yogurt, ice cream, pancakes, bread pudding, etc.