Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Bites
|image from 17 and baking|
Chocolate Dipped Peanut Butter Pretzel Bites
(adapted from Foodaphilia)
makes about 45 sandwiches
- 1 cup of organic or natural peanut butter (creamy works best)
- 2 Tbsp softened organic butter
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar (you may need more)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (you may need more)
- 1 bag good quality chocolate (I like dark)
- Using a mixer, combine peanut butter and softened butter and beat until smooth. Add the sugars and stir to combine.
- At this point if the filling will roll easily into balls without sticking to your hands you’re ready to go. If not, add more powdered sugar until you reach a consistency that is easy to roll.
- Use a teaspoon measure to scoop the filling. Roll each portion into a small ball and set on a cookie sheet. When all the balls are rolled and successfully sandwiched, stick the whole tray in the freezer for about half an hour. You could do this step the day before and just leave it in the freezer until your ready to dip in chocolate the next day.
- Pour the chocolate chips into a double boiler and boil water underneath or make one with a glass or stainless steel bowl and a pot by placing water in the pot and putting the bowl on top of it. Wait until the chocolate is tempered or in other words reaches a temperature 110-115 degrees (not above 130), stirring occasionally until completely melted. You can melt chocolate in the microwave, but it is hard to control the temperature so I prefer not to.
- Remove the pretzel sandwiches from the freezer and quickly dip each half-way into the melted chocolate. When all are dipped, return the tray to the freezer to set up completely. Store the sandwiches in the refrigerator or freezer until serving time.