Lately I've been craving cookies and muffins, and since muffins are healthier and more filing I decided to make muffins. My first mission in muffins is a healthy carrot cake muffin that taste just as good as carrot cake. Well I did it. This seriously taste like carrot cake just without the guilt.
Moist and Healthy Carrot Cake Muffins With
Cream Cheese Glaze
- ½ cup organic whole wheat flour (can sub gf flour)
- ½ cup almond flour (can sub gf flour)
- 1/2 cup oat bran (check the baking in our bulk aisle of your store for this)
- 3/4 cup Stevia in the Raw which measures the same as sugar (can sub cane or organic sugar)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder (aluminum free)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp ginger (powdered)
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp pink salt or sea salt
- 1/3 cup organic raisins
- ¼ cup shredded coconut (optional)
- 1 ½ cups shredded carrots about 5 oz and about 4-6 medium sized carrots (can buy shredded carrots and coarsely chop, or put baby carrots into a food processor or shred large carrots with a shredder)
- 8 oz Fat Free Sour Cream or plain yogurt (about 1 cup)
- 1/3 cup organic brown sugar (light or dark)
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil or pasture raised butter
- 2 Tablespoon Orange juice (can sub lemon juice)
- 2 Large pasture raised eggs
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 3 oz reduced fat organic cream cheese
- 1 Tablespoon pasture raised milk, cream, half and half, or favorite milk alternative
- 1 tsp organic powdered sugar
- 1 tsp stevia (I used Trader Joe's which is a fine powder)
- 1 Tablespoon pasture raised unsalted butter
- ¼ tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- place liners in muffin pan or grease your muffin pan.
- place all dry ingredients into a large bowl and mix well. Make sure that the raisins are all separated.
- Add your ¼ cup of melted coconut oil or butter with your dry mix in your bowl, make sure it coats everything evenly, then add in the rest of the wet ingredients and mix together until well blended.
- Dived the batter into the muffin cups evenly
- Place muffin pan into the oven and reduce temperature down to 350 degrees.
- Bake until a tooth pick in the center comes clean, about 25-30 min for large muffin tins (muffin tins with 6 muffins), and about 15-20 min for regular muffin pans
- Transfer to the freezer to cool make it easier to add frosting.
- put 3 oz of cream cheese and 1 Tablesppon of butter into a small microwave safe bowl and place in the microwave on soften setting if you have, if not place for a short amount of time (20-30 sec) on a reduced power (maybe like 30-50%).
- Put in 1 Tabelspoon of milk or milk alternative, ¼ tsp pure vanilla extract, 1 tsp organic powdered sugar, and 1 tsp stevia and whip/ mix with a fork until smooth and creamy.
- Frost the muffins, can top with chopped walnuts if you desire) and store any leftovers in an air tight container in the fridge.
Don’t forget to “like” us on Facebook. Let’s be friends on Pinterest and we can follow each other on Twitter and Google Plus. And check out my other blog OhYou Crafty Gal.
©Minneapolis Homestead All rights reserved. Photos and content cannot be reproduced http://theurbanhomestaed.blogspot.com
Similar Posts You Might Like: