Lately I've been cookie obsessed and trying to create healthy cookies. I try not to taste any of the dough with out baking it but it's just to hard not to sometimes. I've been lucky that I've never got sick because 94% of the 50,000 people who've gotten sick with salmonella and E.coli remember eating raw cookie dough prior to the symptoms. So I had to make a you can eat it raw cookie mix that's healthy to boot. Note when I say raw I mean not baked in the oven. If your following a raw diet this would not qualify (flour, PB, and beans are cooked).
|image found via Loved this on the TV show "Family Guy"|
Since cookies are really just a mix of fat sugar and flour, I needed to add something else to the mix that is healthy. I found the perfect solution to be chick peas (garbanzo beans). I know your thinking I don't know about that.... but trust me it's really good and you won't feel so guilty about eating it! To make it even more healthier I added more protein with whey protein and peanut butter (as well as added fiber) to helps to keep you fuller longer, used gluten free flour, and subbed some sugar with stevia (a natural zero calorie sweetener that you can grow).
|Live In Kitchen Cookie Dough for One|
Oh The Ways You Can Use Raw Cookie Dough
There are lot of fun ways you can eat this rather than just plain from a bowl.
- cookie dough sandwich cookies (with the raw cookie dough as filling
- You can also use it to top brownies or cheesecake,
- use it in between layers for cakes
- mix it with vanilla ice cream to make your own cookie dough ice cream
- coat it with chocolate for cookie dough truffles
- or even make cookie dough cupcakes
- turn it into cookie dough frosting
- add a little milk or favourite milk alternative to this recipe and serve it as a dip
Healthy Raw Vegan Cookie Dough
- 1/2 cup of chickpeas aka garbanzo beans (I cup cooked)
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened organic Apple sauce
- 1/3 cup unsalted organic peanut butter or almond butter
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips (I prefer mini)
- 2 Tablespoons of gluten free flour mix or flour (can use regular all purpose too it just won't be GF)
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanila extract
- 2 tsp stevia (I use Trader Joes which measures similar to Stevia In the Raw)
- 2 Tablespoon brown organic sugar
- 1 Tablespoon pasture raised organic butter melted
- 1 Tablespoon grass fed whey protein powder
- 1/4 tsp pink salt
- If you are not using chick peas from a can, soak over night, drain out the water and place them in a large pot and cover with several inches of water (I use about 1 quart of water per 1 cup of soaked beans). Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Let the beans cook for 60-90 minutes till desired tenderness. Strain the beans from the water and let cool to room temp.
- Place cooled chick peas into a food processor along with 2 T of apple sauce and process until smooth. Once smooth add remaining ingredients except chocolate chips, and process until all is evenly mixed together.
- Taste the dough to make sure you like it. If it's not sweet enough add more sugar slowly, if it taste too much like beans add more peanut butter, etc.
- Place dough from food processor into a bowl and fold in chocolate chips.
- Serve in bowls, or roll into balls and freeze, or use it in any of the other fun ideals above. If you don't want to eat it all at once you can freeze the cookie dough for up to a month.