Shrimp Scampi Fried Rice

By JULIE - 8:37:00 PM


I was faced recently with wanting to make lunch for myself quickly, so I was thinking of what I had on hand I could use quickly.  I had rice in the fridge and shrimp so I started to think of making a stir fry.  Then I started thinking of making shrimp scampi.  They both sounded good and I couldn't decide.  And then it hit me, shrimp scampi fried rice?  Italian meets Asian.  So I totally made this up on the fly, and boy is it good and easy!  I plan to make this often.  I've been trying to have frozen wild shrimp in the freezer all the time so this shouldn't be hard.  I've decided to keep this always stocked in our house because sea food is so healthy for you and easy to make, but I worry about mercury and what farmed seafood is fed (they're only good for you because of the food they eat in the wild).  It doesn't leave me much to chose from, but wild shrimp I think should be good (plus it can go from frozen to cooked in like 5 min) due to the fact it's low on the food chain and therefore unlikely to have mercury.   I also always make a big batch of rice and freeze the extra in wide mouth freezable canning jars, so all I have to do is but it in the refrigerator to defrost overnight.

Shrimp Scampi Fried Rice

Ingredients
  • 1 pound of wild shrimp
  • 4 tablespoons on organic butter
  • 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon of garlic about 5 cloves crushed
  • 1 cup of organic broccoli
  • 1/3 cup of organic red onions chopped
  • 1/3 cup of organic red peppers
  • 1/3 cup of chopped organic zuccini
  • 1/4 cup of organic half and half
  • 3 cups of cooked wild or black rice (mor nutrition than white or brown)
  • coconut oil for saute pan (why coconut oil?  It can take high temps without going rancid and is super healthy)
  • Pink salt and ground black pepper to taste
  • Chinese chili sauce to taste (optional)
  • green onions (optional)
*You can sub any vegetables you prefer or have on hand, or decrease or increase the amount of vegetables
Directions
  1. Add some coconut oil in a large saute pan and heat on medium.
  2. Put 1 pound of shrimp into the saute pan until cooked
  3. take cooked shrimp out of the pan and set shrimp aside in a covered bowl
  4. Add more coconut oil if necessary and add zuccini, red peppers, and red onions to the saute pan (for about 5 min)
  5. Once the above vegetables are close to done add 3 cups of cooked rice and broccoli (about 3 min)
  6. Turn heat down to low and remove rice and vegetables once cooked from saute pan and set side in a covered bowel. 
  7. Add 4 tablespoons of organic butter and 4 tablespoon of olive oil, 1 teaspoon of garlic, 1/4 cup of organic half and half and pink salt, and ground pepper, and chili sauce.  Heat just until the butter is melted and stir until emulsified and add the shrimp back in and make sure it's coated and warm.
  8. Remove from heat and pour the shrimp scampi over the fried rice and vegetables.  Optional top with fresh chopped green onion and Asiago or Parmesan cheese. 
Don’t forget to “likeus on Facebook.  Let’s be friends on Pinterest and we can follow each other on Twitter and Google Plus.  And check out my other blog OhYou Crafty Gal.  

©Minneapolis Homestead www.theurbanhomestaed.blogspot.com All rights reserved. Photos and content cannot be reproduced

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts