Chocolate Banana Bread With Peanut Butter Spread
I altered the Nestle's chocolate bread recipe to be healthier and doubled it so I could make two loafs (have one now and freeze one for later). I cut down the fat and added nutrition by adding bananas, and I replaced half of the fat with coconut oil (which is much healthier for you). I used half coconut oil and half organic butter in case the butter flavor is needed, you could use all coconut oil and it most likely would taste just as good. I used less sugar by replacing some with stevia and increased the amount of cocoa to make it even more chocolatey (hey chocolate's healthy for you!). My last trick was that I used almond flour and flax meal in place of some flour in order to make it more GI friendly (less likely to spike your blood sugar) and for added nutrition.
Chocolate Banana Bread (makes 2 loaves)
- 1 3/4 cups organic all-purpose flour (or white wheat)
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup of flax meal
- 1 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon pink salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) organic unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- ¼ cup (226 grams) coconut oil melted
- 3/4 cup cane sugar (if it's not cane it might be GMO because beets have been Genetically Modified)
- ¼ cup of stevia (or ¾ cup of sugar)
- 4 large organic eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 6 ripe bananas (the older the better) mashed about 3 cups (about 2 lbs)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325° F. Grease (2) 9 x 5-inch loaf pans.
- Combine flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder and baking soda in medium bowl.
- Mash 3 cups of bananas in a X-large bowl with a potato masher (6 qts or larger)
- Melt chocolate chips and ½ stick of butter and coconut oil using a glass or stainless steel large bowl as a double bowler over a sauce pan with water on low. Once melted remove from heat and add to butter and sugar, stevia and vanilla in a large mixer bowl until fully mixed. Add eggs to the mixture, one at a time, beating well after each addition
- Add the chocolate, butter, sugar, eggs mixture into the X-large bowl with the mashed bananas
- Gradually beat in flour mixture alternately with buttermilk into the extra large bowl.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes; remove to wire rack to cool completely. Serve with Peanut Butter cream cheese spread.
For the Cream Cheese Spread:
- 5 ounces light cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons organic creamy unsalted peanut butter
- 1/2 tsp stevia (or 2 tsp of sugar) more or less to taste
- 3/4 tsp of organic half and half