Veggie Burgers with Sundried Tomato Chili Ketchup

By JULIE - 10:20:00 PM


I use to buy frozen veggie burgers all the time, until I realized that they had either mostly soy or quinoa in it.  I try to minimize soy in my diet and while there is nothing wrong with quinoa but I felt weird eating a bun with a patty that was mostly carbs.   I am also trying to stop buying processed foods.  So I have been wanting to try to make my own veggie patties for awhile, and I finally did.  My inspiration was a McDonald's cheeseburger.  I haven't had one in years and never plan to again, but I do love the simplicity of it.  It's all about the cheese, pickles, diced onions, and ketchup and mustard.  I figured why not make a veggie burger that exaggerates those flavors?  I was trying to only use meat like substances as the base (black beans and mushrooms) and I added mustard, pickle relish and sun dried tomatoes in addition to onions, garlic and hot sauce. I also skipped the bun because I didn't have any one hand and I'm trying to eat less carbs until I lose my Holiday weight (it already has some carbs in the recipe). Without buns they were like a veggie meatloaf.  I just ate it with a fork.  I think the sun dried tomato chili ketchup added a ton of flavor, if you have the ingredients on hand I'd recommend trying it. For my side dish I grilled frozen mangoes diced and pineapple chunks on my cast iron skillet while I was cooking my patties and then I tossed it in a tiny bit of salsa verde for an easy quick healthy sweet and spicy side dish.  I think it turned out pretty good for my first veggie burger.  Tell me what you think!
Veggie Burgers with Sun dried Tomato Chili Ketchup
Makes 4-6 patties (if that's to many just freeze them individually for an easy homemade meal)

Ingredients 
  • 1 can of black beans, or 1 1/2 cups of cooked black beans (soak overnight, and bring to a boil and leave covered for two hours)
  • about 10 mushrooms
  • 1 small onion
  • 1 table spoon of garlic or about 3-4 cloves
  • 1 tsp hot sauce (optional)
  • 1 tsp mustard powder (optional)
  • 1 tsp Dijon mustard (optional)
  • 1 tsp of sweet pickle relish (optional)
  • 1/8 tsp of pink salt
  • 4-5 sun dried tomato halves diced (optional)
  • 1/2 cup of quick oats
Directions
  1. Preheat an outdoor or indoor grill on high heat, and lightly oil a sheet of aluminum foil. An indoor grill won’t need any foil, just a little cooking spray (make sure to use an oil that can take high heat)
  2. In a medium bowl, mash the black beans with a fork until pasty.  
  3. Chop the onions and cook the onions and garlic on low to medium heat in a saute pan just until softened being careful not to burn the garlic and transfer to the food processor.
  4.  In a food processor, finely pulse mushrooms, onion and garlic, diced sun dried tomatoes, and 1/2 cup of oatmeal. Transfer back to a medium bowl, and then stir into the beans. 
  5. Add 1 tsp of hot sauce (more or less to taste), 1 tsp of pickle relish, 1 tsp mustard powder, 1 tsp Dijon mustard, and 1/8 tsp of pink salt to the mixture and mix thoroughly. Divide mixture into four to six patties and grill for about 8-10 minutes per side, or until the outside is nice and crispy. 
Some Possible Ideals I have not tried yet but plan to next time: 
  • add shredded cheese (to add fat and flavor)
  • add barbecue sauce in place of the mustard and ketchup
  • add 1/2 tsp of Worcestershire sauce (for added savouriness)
Sun Dried Tomato Chili Ketchup

Ingredients
  • a few diced sun dried tomatoes (soaked in water) depending on how much you want to make and how strong you want it.  I used 3 sun dried tomato halves for my burgers.
  • natural ketchup from your pantry
  • Sriracha Chinese hot chili sauce  
Directions
Place some ketchup and sun dried tomatoes, and desired amount of hot chili sauce into your food processor, depending on how much you want.  If it is to thick add a little bit of water at a time until it reaches you desired consistency and taste.  Just play with the amount of sun dried tomatoes and hot sauce to your desired taste.   

Don’t forget to “likeus on Facebook.  Let’s be friends on Pinterest and we can follow each other on Twitter and Google Plus.  And check out my other blog OhYou Crafty Gal.  

©Minneapolis Homestead www.theurbanhomestaed.blogspot.com All rights reserved. Photos and content cannot be reproduced


More Vegan Recipes You Might Like:
Easy No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Bites
Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
Simple Tahini Hummus
No Bake Lemon Macaroons
Healthy Banana Shake
Pin It

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts