I love hash browns, and over the years I have developed tips to make the best and quickest hash browns from scratch, so here they are!
Sometimes I skip hash browns because they take too long. That was until I had a great idea about how to make them in half the time. Are you ready for it? Use your waffle iron or you could probably use a panini press or George Foreman style grill. I used my Black and Decker waffle iron/ griddle/grill. It turns out crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside. No turning or flipping.
- Just grate organic potatoes on the large holes of a box grater.
- set your grill to medium temp
- Strain water out of the shredded potatoes (see below)
- spray grill with grapeseed or safflower oil (because it is non gmo oils that are high heat)
- put hash browns on the grill sprinkle with pink salt (or season salt, my secret ingredient) and shredded cheddar cheese if you want and cook for 8-10 min
I heard on America's Test Kitchen that you need to squeeze out the water in the potatoes before cooking them. I used a clean dish cloth (only to stain it brown due to the potato liquid) and have been using this method ever since. I did however read on Simply Recipes that a potato ricer works better at squeezing out the water. I will certainly try this next time and post here how it went.