Quick and Healthy : Hulled Barley and Whole Wheat Couscous!

By JULIE - 10:24:00 PM


I have done some research on grains and tried  amaranth, quinoa, and hulled barley.  I only liked barley.  In fact I really like it, especially cooked in beef broth with mushrooms as a side with a beef main dish.  I learned that hulled barley is the best so that's what I get in the bulk aisle. It can take a long time to cook, so I cook extra and freeze it in half pint jars that are freezeable.  Then I take it out of the freezer for a while, then put it into the oven on low, and viola!

here's a informative blog on Whole Foods website about barley.
http://blog.wholefoodsmarket.com/2011/01/beautiful-boost-with-barley/

 I also have been getting organic whole wheat cous cous in the bulk aisle.  I am so loving it.  I use chicken brooth 2 cups to 1 cup of cous cous.  You make it like stuffing so it's really quick.  Just boil the chicken stock, then pour it over the cous cous, and put the lid on and let it steam for awhile.  I like to shred parmesan cheese on top of it.  

What's your favorite healthy grain?  How do you like to eat it?

Don’t forget to “likeus on Facebook.  Let’s be friends on Pinterest and we can follow each other on Twitter and Google Plus.  And check out my other blog OhYou Crafty Gal.  

©Minneapolis Homestead www.theurbanhomestaed.blogspot.com All rights reserved. Photos and content cannot be reproduced

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts